BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sojourner Truth ?'s

1. Specifically I think Sojourner Truth was responding to the minister "the little man in black" who said women can not have as many rights as a man can. But in general I think she is speaking to all women and trying to encourage them to take a stand for their rights as well.

2. Sojourner Truth gives many examples through her speech of what makes her a woman. She is trying to make the point that she does not get treated like a woman but then later she talks about how all women are not given enough rights and how contradictory society is. Her examples do a good job of making this point that society contradicts itself and the point that she is indeed a woman and women deserve as many rights as men.

4. I would imagine that had I been there in 1851 when Sojourner Truth gave her speech, being a white girl, I would have had some initial perceptions of her that would have made me not want to hear what she had to say. However, if I stayed long enough to give her a chance I would have been greatly inspired and moved by what she said. Just sitting here reading it makes me want to clap and cheer her on and get up and do something, so I can only imagine hearing such a speech in person.

0 comments: