BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 8, 2008

Columbus Picture


I found this cartoon on the internet and it really sums up what I think about Columbus. When we were little our history classes always taught that Columbus discovered America and that is why we celebrate a whole day for him. However, then we get older and we are taught the truth. We find out that Columbus did not infact discover America and he really had no idea what he was doing. Columbus should not get credit for his "discovery" because he did not even know where he was. He thought he was in the west Indies, which is why Indians are known as Indians.
Just because he thought he was somewhere else does not make him a bad guy. However, there are other reasons his efforts do not deserve credit. He was not even the first person here. Vikings were here and had discovered land long before Columbus had even been born. Plus, people were here already when he landed, and you can not discover something when people already know about it. So I picked this illustration because it was funny and very simply and cleverly depicts the fact that Columbus deserves no credit for what he did because it had already been done. He really did copy off of those who went before him.

4 comments:

Sidney Bridges said...

u kinda stole my idea, but i'll find another 1. anyway nice blog. it really fits the pic.

mbrown8625 said...

I didn't get it. I pulled all urls from my email. I'll put yours up immediatiely. :-)

mbrown8625 said...

Nice visual! see comments 34, 35, and 20. See me for grade :-)

mbrown8625 said...

You currently have an A. I'm sorry I didn't give you an update on Friday. I'll have grade report sheets next week. Please keep in mind that grades are constantly changing, because I am constantly grading:-)